The interim order was granted in the South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg late on Thursday afternoon.
The order indicates that BLF cannot illegally protest, trespass on Absa-owned or controlled property, damage Absa property, prevent access to branches and ATMs and intimidate its staff or clients.
Absa also requested that BLF and Mngxitama publish the court order on their Twitter and Facebook accounts, as well as on their website.
They will be back in court on 15 July.
Speaking to News24, Absa spokesperson Songezo Zibi said the interdict was granted after the BLF and South African National Editors’ Forum court hearing earlier on Thursday.
“It appears that after the Sanef hearing, there was an ensuing scuffle at one of our banks and a customer was injured. The customer suffered a broken arm. We then approached court immediately to protect our customers.”
Zibi said the bank had previously asked the BLF not to intimidate staff and members of the public.
“They did not respond to us directly and therefore we prepared papers to go to court. The problem with an urgent application is that you need something to happen or you can’t prove your version.”
– News24 Wire