This is what Deputy President David “DD” Mabuza told New24 on Sunday when asked about his recent trip to Russia where he received medical assistance for a long-term illness.

In his first public engagement since his return, Mabuza spent Sunday campaigning in Mkhondo, Piet Retief, as part of the ANC’s Thuma Mina campaign ahead of the 2019 elections.

Mabuza said that while he’d paid for his fourth trip to Russia out of his own pocket, the state had paid for his protection team, which had to accompany him due to his role in government.

Defending his decision to seek treatment in Russia, Mabuza said the doctors there understood his ailment as they had been treating him for a long time.

READ MORE: Mabuza has spent 15 days in Russia for “routine” medical treatment

“When I was critically ill, unable to walk, I was presented to the hospital in Russia. They treated me and have all my medical records, so they know what might be the problem in the future,” said Mabuza.

“I went there and will still go because they have my medical records and I know what times or intervals I must go there to check whether a certain problem has developed or subsided,” he added.

Mabuza said he had made a formal request to Ramaphosa for sick leave so he could go for his check-up. He was received by the Russian government and treated at a hospital there.

“I am back, I’m good and I am going to run! I will try and serve my country to the best of my abilities,” Mabuza told News24 on the sidelines of one of his campaign stops.

READ MORE: Deputy President David Mabuza calls on the youth to advance awareness in TB and…

Top six and NWC will discuss Bosasa

Earlier, Mabuza told journalists that he would meet with the ANC’s top six officials on Sunday evening and its national working committee on Monday.

Although he declined to share his views on the developing Bosasa scandal and its links to ANC President Cyril Ramaphosa, Mabuza said it would be discussed by the party.

Ramaphosa told Parliament this week that he was not aware that Bosasa (now called African Global Operations), which holds multi-million-rand government tenders, had donated R500 000 to his campaign in the lead-up to the ANC’s elective conference last year.

This comes as opposition parties called for the president to account for the money.

READ MORE: I was taken to Moscow in a terrible condition – Mabuza

“Sure, the matter is going to be discussed. Not necessary for all of us to speak on one matter, the president’s office is speaking,” said Mabuza.

– News24